Friday, July 07, 2006

One Got Fat.


Years ago, Monlux Elementary School would gather all the students for "assemblies" in the auditorium where they would screen educational films on the movie projector. When I was in second or third grade, they showed us a film on bicycle safety that brought me years and years of horrifying nightmares. I remember not being able to sleep well for weeks, and for years after would periodically get a flashback of a scene or two. When I tried to describe this film to friends years later ("monkeys on bikes" was the best description I could muster), no one I knew had ever heard of it and thought it was a figment of my imagination. Well, a few weeks ago at the ripe age of 35 I got another of those aforementioned flashbacks and decided to Google "monkeys on bikes." To my surprise I found the film - called "One Got Fat." With a creepy voiceover by "Fractured Fairytales" Edward Everett Horton, it is the terrifying story of a bunch of half monkey/half teenage kids not obeying bicycle safety laws and meeting horrible fates. Since rediscovering this film, I've periodically watched it as a sort of therapy for the second grader inside me. Its still weird.

http://www.archive.org/details/OneGotFa1963

1 comment:

p-90dave said...

I was also haunted by this for so many years, and would have bad dreams and flashbacks well into adulthood. I saw it around 1972 and then again about two years later. FUnny thing, i really remember it with real chimps, and not kids. Funny how time 8and dreams) change ones perception. A real strange film and unintentionally surreal.